Thursday, April 21, 2011

Weeds to Wonder - explanation

We moved to our house in 2003.  We have just under 1 acre of land and at one time it was landscaped and I'm sure beautiful.  However, it had been some time since someone took care of the yard.  I've been overwhelmed when looking at it so it continued to be in sad shape.  I've always wanted to garden but to tell you the truth I never learned and felt overwhelmed when I started researching how to do it.  Over the past year I've read about permaculture and people's blogs that have taken their small pieces of land and made them into beautiful productive gardens/homesteads.

Now that spring is here (hopefully) I will be posting my progress in turning this mess into something beautiful.  It will take time and it will be done one small step at a time.  The other day I had to ask a friend who's family owns horses how to shovel shit...I've never done it before.  But I'm willing and ready to learn.  I'll be posting the before pictures over this weekend to show what I have to start with and what my plans will be. 

My ultimate goal and hope is to have a functioning homestead to provide my family and my children's families (as they get older) with fresh nutritious organic food.  I have a lot to learn. 

2 comments:

  1. Awesome Joc! I look forward to watching your transformation. We have less space, but it still might be worth it for you to check out: http://www.squarefootgardening.com/ and I found this site helpful last year: http://www.no-dig-vegetablegarden.com/companion-planting.html. Don't overwhelm yourself, and don't be afraid to make mistakes. My garden gets a little better every year. To me that is what is intriguing about gardening. Taking on the challenges, getting to know your yard and it's needs and working with them.... and enjoy the dirt!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Faith. I've looked into both those too... small world! Things feel reasonable now that i have a 6 year loose plan... We want it to be set up so if we decide to move out of the area when Jarret graduates, it will sell well to a growing population of urban homesteaders in the area. or if we decide to stay it's ours :-D

    ReplyDelete